Sunday, May 21, 2017

TCS World 10k 2017

In case you came here wondering if I ran this - Yes, I did. I ran the 2017 edition of the running festival of Bengaluru 10k, in a personal best time of 39:07
However, despite a good strong finish, with negative splits, I am somewhat unhappy about missing a podium finish. I finished in the 4th place in my age group, yet again, making this an agonizing 3rd consecutive 4th place finish in the last 3 10k races that I have participated in.

Happy about:
  • Of course, the PB - faster by 26secs from last years' 39:33
  • My sister coming out to support me today, a long drive from Mumbai, sleepless nights notwithstanding. She shouted out over the din of traffic at CCD at the start and then at the finish. Thanks!
  • Staving off a challenge from D from the 7th km on, sprinting the last 200m to beat Ath to the finish line
  • Negative splits, some tremendous amount of grit to stay on pace and finish the race - I had (like on all my tempo runs) to overcome lots of voices in my mind to stop and let this be
  • I made up 13 positions in the last 750m to finish within the top 50 overall
Unhappy about:
  • A third 4th place finish, this time the gap to the podium as narrow as 7 secs!
  • About not being to use the race day adrenaline to translate to race day performance
  • Somewhat wavering focus. Only when I saw D over my shoulder, did I pick up my feet again to push pace
  • Pre race breakfast, perhaps a bit too much - oats and 2 large bananas, heavy-ish feeling for the first km or so
Pics courtesy Marathon Photos & Geeks on Feet

 The push in the last few hundred meters will remain in memory for a bit...
 It was tough to take on Ath in the last 50mts or so, both of us were bent over and gasping for dear breath, when my sister walked across the barricade to check on us at the finish line.

I am glad its over and I can now get back to focusing on podium of those longer runs. Wish me luck!! 

No comments: